How to arrive:
La Yesa is located in the hinterland of the province of Valencia, in La Serrania de Valencia administrative region. Today, it is considered the lung of the Valencia Region. It is located at an altitude of 1,040 m. above sea level and is characterized by the flatness of its streets and its wealth of woodland, mainly pine and oak. Its geographical coordinates are:
Latitude: N 39° 54,833
Longitude: W 000° 57,267
La Yesa is characterized by its rich and varied cuisine, based on products cultivated in the municipality and prepared using traditional methods. This combination offers flavours and sensations that recall former times and speak in favour of natural, healthy cooking.
Mention may be made of a dish prepared with rice and local beans and turnip. “Olla del pueblo” (Village “pot”) owes its name to the manner in which it is prepared in a clay pot, which is left to simmer over a wood fire.
Further typical products from La Yesa include sausages stored in olive oil, and artisan sausages made in the village butcher’s shops.
We cannot overemphasize the bread cooked in clay ovens, pasties, bacon or sardine cakes, “coquitos”, “rollitos de anís”, sugar cakes with walnuts and raisins, and many other delicacies made by hand in the municipal wood-burning oven. Locally-produced honey is also available.
Mention may be made of the craft beer “Galana” which is produced in the municipality and whose intense flavour is the ideal complement to any of these products.
Places of interest:
Parish Church of Our Lady of the Angels
17th-century parish church, completed in 1622 in accordance with the Renaissance model. It was burned down in 1840 during of the Carlist Wars. Its reconstruction lasted until 1852.
To the left of the façade is an embedded, robust, masonry bell tower with ashlar corners. It is composed of two sections separated by a cylindrical molding. The first section houses an arrowslit and a clock, the second an arched opening for the bells. It is topped with a terrace with balustrade. Mention may also be made of the annex to the Abbot House.
There are four hermitages in the municipality: Hermitage of Saint Roche, Hermitage of Saint Sebastian, Hermitage of Saint John and Hermitage of Our Lady of Bethlehem in “Casa de las Hoyas”, which has been destroyed.
The main festivities are celebrated in summer. The 16th July sees celebrations in honour of the village’s patron saint, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and in August the main festivities are held, accompanied by the decoration of the streets with arches and villagers dressed in typical costumes, such as the “salla roya”. Every year during July and August, visitors can enjoy an exhibition of medieval painting on stoneware (handmade).