BUFALÍ

BUFALÍ

The oldest information about Bufali dates from the time of Arab domination, when the kingdom was conquered by King James I of Aragon. That it was an Arabic hamlet is evidenced by its name, Bufali. According to Sanchis Sivera (“Geographic-Statistical Nomenclature of the people of the Diocese of Valencia”, Valencia 1922), the Arabs called the village “Bohali”.


How to arrive:

The municipality of Bufali is located in the administrative region of Vall d’Albaida, between the Rivers Albaida and Clariano on the southern side of the valley and near the Sierra de Benicadell range. The part furthest from the range is located at a maximum altitude of 254 m and a minimum altitude of 190 m above sea level. It lies some 3 km from Albaida, 15 km from Ontinyent and 84 km from the city of Valencia. Its geographical location in relation to the Greenwich Meridian, according to the Valencian Statistics Institute (IVE) is 38° 52’08” latitude and 0º30’56W” longitude.

Its main communication route is the local CV-639 road (formerly VV-2038), which, at barely 1.6 km long, connects the village centre with the N-340 (Xátiva-Albaida) and CV-60 (Albaida -Gandía) road, which lie a short distance to the east.

The Xátiva-Alcoi railway, which crosses the southeast of municipality, stops near the village.

Gastronomy:

Mention may be made of the dish known as “pericana”, which is made locally with raw tomato, as well as the local grilled artisan sausage (sausages and black pudding); baked rice and a stew made with rice, chicken, beef, vegetables, chickpeas and beef meatballs, are just some of the dishes that make up the local cuisine.

Places of interest:

Parish Church of Our Lady of Loreto

The original building, which dates from 18th century, was completely renovated in a neoclassical style in 1887. It has a single barrel vault roof atop buttresses, with large cross with a groin vault. The only decoration on the façade of the nave is a reinforced door closed with stone elements. The bell tower is divided into three sections and stands at the foot of the nave on the side of the Epistle. In times of the Patriarch Ribera, the village of Bufali village had 50 new Christian houses and the parish was dependent on Montaverner. In 1574, it became an independent parish, dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto.

La Lloma Solaneta ice well

A circular ice well with an outside diameter of 6.5 m, located on the crest of a hill. It gives onto the slopes on all sides, without the need for a platform. The well is 7.3 m deep from the surface (measured at the doors) to its current floor.

Festivities:

The main festivities are held from 15th to 20th August in honour of Our Lady of Loreto and the Christ of Poverty, with different religious and recreational events, such as the popular paella contest.

Where to find us



Tourist Info

962390388